Understand what PLANT is and why we are using this framework
Bridges’ students, staff, and volunteers love sharing the gospel with international students. But is there a clear process in how we approach evangelism? PLANT’s main objective is to help us grow in our love and ability to share the story in a way that communicates to each person, no matter where they are from. The PLANT approach seeks to:
- reinvigorate our love for Jesus because it teaches us to align our hearts with His desires,
- inspire the pleasure of listening to others, assuming that God is at work in their hearts,
- expose our staff, student leaders, and volunteers to an abundance of tools and resources,
- coach us to give appropriate invitations to those we speak with, and
- infuse our movement with a culture of consistently sharing the gospel.
While PLANT includes training in particular evangelistic tools, it is a more comprehensive plan. It is built around the idea that evangelism is a process, not just a one-time event. PLANT is designed to help us move spiritual conversations to clear, contextual gospel presentations.
Bible Passage & Questions
Put this passage in your own words.
- Why do you think Jesus uses sowing to describe evangelism?
- Are you comforted or discouraged to know that gospel seeds fall on four types of soil? Why?
- Can you share a story of God growing gospel seeds that you helped plant?
Consider & Discuss
- Pray. Why is it important for us to pray for our own love for Jesus to be reinvigorated AND for opportunities to share
- Listen. How do you feel when someone listens well to you?
- Articulate. In your own experience, what is the easiest way to articulate the gospel message?
- iNvite. What are some examples of appropriate next steps to invite a person to take in their spiritual journey?
- Try again. Share the story of a student who came to Christ after hearing the gospel many times.
As a team, which of these five points is our strongest point? Weakest? Why?
Next Steps (Individually & Collectively)
This week take some time to pray and/or journal about which of these five points you want to grow in over the upcoming months. Share your insight with a ministry coach, friend, or teammate.